Background: The Tampa Bay LGBT Chamber is a nonprofit organization working to advance common business interests, economic growth, and equality in the workplace and society for its LGBT and allied businesses, corporations, and professional members by providing educational, networking, and community engagement. With more than 1,200 members throughout the Tampa Bay Region, the Chamber is the premier voice of the Greater Tampa Bay LGBT business community.
Compensation: Salary rage of $30,000 -$40,000, Commission is uncapped and additional to salary. Commission averages from an additional $10,000 - $20,000 per year, based on performance.
Position Summary: The Membership & Events Manager is a full-time position that will work under the direction of the President & CEO on managing and growing the Chamber’s membership and leading the Chamber’s programs. The Membership & Events Manager will assist with all aspects of member relations, and with the planning and staffing of Chamber events related to business growth, networking, and education. General responsibilities include management and administration of the Chamber's strategic partnerships, recruit and retain members, planning and executing programs/events, and facilitation of the Ambassadors committee.
This position serves as support to Chamber leadership and requires excellent multi-tasking and communication skills, and the ability to work independently as well as a part of a team. The Manager must have reliable transportation and be able to travel around the Tampa Bay Region to attend and participate in meetings and events as needed.
This is an hourly full-time position.
The work schedule is flexible depending on organizational and coordinator needs; however, consistency and reliability are required for this job. Some early mornings and evenings will be needed, however most of the responsibilities will be expected to be completed within the traditional 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. frame. Candidates who need to work remotely from Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, Manatee, Sarasota, Polk, or Hernando areas (with frequent travel to Tampa & St. Petersburg) will be considered.
Major Duties & Tasks:
Assist with the management and upkeep of our membership database (10%)
- Learn GrowthZone (our membership-management software) and seek ways to maximize the utility of current membership management systems
- Enter and update member records in database as needed (e.g., calling members to verify information is accurate and up to date, assisting with the creation of membership profiles, etc.)
- Assist in generating and analyzing custom lists and membership reports
- Document all sponsorships and complete all necessary paperwork for accounting and operations, as well as maintain all corporate partner records
Collaborate with staff to develop and implement new member outreach campaigns (30%)
- Work with staff to develop marketing materials for prospective members (including online marketing, email marketing, and direct marketing)
- Under the direction of the President & CEO, research, collect and compile information useful to membership development efforts
- Help create new and update existing promotional materials including mailing materials, flyers, slides, sales sheets, etc.
- Prepare and distribute bulk membership mailing materials such as applications, new member packets and postcards
- Solicit potential members, as well as additional resources from existing members & partners
- Field cold calls from businesses interested in getting involved with the Chamber and follow up to secure support
Support and strengthen existing memberships (30%)
- Help develop and implement a strategy for check-in with members at important benchmarks (e.g., midway through membership)
- Maintain excellent relationships with existing account base and expand relationships where possible
- Communicate regularly with existing members on activities of the Chamber
- Ensure fulfillment and delivery of all deliverables
- Follow-up on outstanding membership invoices and report on membership to the President & CEO regularly
Help with the planning and execution of Chamber events and meetings (20%)
- Work with staff to plan and organize event details such as scheduling, contacting venues, organizing guest lists, creating guest name tags, sending out invitations and arranging materials
- Assist in the promotion of Chamber events through online marketing, email marketing and direct marketing
- Staff regular and special Chamber events and council meetings throughout the region
- Assist in post-event evaluations and survey creation
- Maintain regular, ongoing communication on behalf of the Chamber (e.g., answering and returning phone calls, attending meetings, leading presentations, responding to online inquiries, emailing members, regular check-ins with President & CEO, etc.)
On-Board and Orient New members (5%)
- Lead the on-boarding and orientation of new members
- Communicate regularly with new members to encourage engagement and participation
- Provide correspondence and new member packets on a timely basis
Assist with the management of the Ambassador Volunteer Program (5%)
- Work with the President & CEO to develop resources and supporting materials for our Ambassador Volunteer Program
- Assist with Ambassador volunteer training, meetings, communications, events, scheduling and evaluations
- Ensure regular communications with volunteers, and provide support when needed
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA) Qualifications
- Interest in and knowledge of LGBT issues, nonprofit management, business, event planning, marketing and/or communications
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Excel, and Google Docs preferred
- Some experience with database management and/or data entry a plus but not required, willingness to learn new systems
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) and the ability to think creatively and analytically
- Strong interpersonal skills, must be comfortable on the phone and interacting with the public
- Organized, dependable and detail oriented
- Able to work well independently and as part of a team
- Skills in graphic and/or website design and online/social media tool management are a plus, but not required
- Has earned or is pursuing a degree in relevant field, or comparable work experience
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of member information
- Must be committed to excellent customer service and the vision and values of the Tampa Bay LGBT Chamber
- The individual must be committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the community and the workplace
- Available to work full-time — 40 hours a week, a typical schedule is flexible between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday; some early mornings and evenings will be required based on programing.
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to travel around the region
Commitment to Inclusivity, Equity and Representation: TBLGBTC is an equal opportunity employer committed to having a diverse staff and board reflective of the communities we serve. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.
This position will be based out of our St. Petersburg Office. Candidates who wish to work remotely from Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, Manatee, Sarasota, Polk, or Hernando areas (with frequent travel to Tampa & St. Petersburg) may be considered based on experience and qualifications. The Membership & Events Coordinator will be expected to travel around the region to visit members on site and for special events and meetings on a limited basis.
Please submit the following to email@example.com
- Cover Letter
- Three (3) References
- Two (2) Writing Samples:
- How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to anti-racism and equity internally and externally?
- In your own words, what does a Chamber of Commerce do?
Applicants that do not submit all required materials will not be considered. The position is available immediately. All applications will be reviewed and acted upon as they are received, and the position will be filled as soon as the appropriate candidate is found. Therefore, it is recommended that you submit your materials as soon as possible.